Thursday, April 30, 2009

Purely Personal


This week my grandson Sailor turned three. I want to share with you the piece I wrote on the day he was born. He came a bit early. I was not there. I was an assistant leader on a trip to Israel. At the very time he was born in Austin, I was in the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem. When I got back to the hotel, I found out that he had been born and at the time I was in the church— about the time I took the photo above.  So I wrote this piece:

An April day and far away I hear of you
Born on the day that I stand in Bethlehem
All around the icons of Mary and her baby
Watch me, smiling at what they know...
That your mother has strained in the morning
And brought you to light.

I feel so far away from you and my heart would break
If I did not know that the One who caused the sun to rise in Bethlehem
Caused the son of my son to rise in Austin
So in my heart -- peace, as I wait to hold you.

'Til then, I pray 
Bless God the Almighty, the Maker of heaven and earth
For the great gift of life in Sailor Durham Sharp
Now may you be blessed with faith, love and hope all your life
And may you be an instrument of justice in the hand of God.

Amen.

It was a good day. Happy Birthday, Sail!

2 comments:

Gammie said...

What a sweet blessing from a wonderful grandfather!

Heather Sharp said...

That was beautiful, Pop. Thank you.